—— Since ——
Hare School is one of the oldest schools in Kolkata, India, teaching grades Pre-Primary to twelve under the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education and the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education. The school was established by the Scottish watch-maker, David Hare in1818. The school is situated opposite the Presidency University, and is also adjacent to the University of Calcutta and Hindu School.
After the David Hare Book Society established the Hindu School or Hindu College in 1817, and the Calcutta School Society in 1818, David Hare established a school opposite the college in the heart of College Street. It was called Arpuli Pathshala, Hare school later as Colootala Branch School, but is now named Hare School, and has been since 1867. The Bengal Renaissance personality, Peary Charan Sarkar, was one of the most well-known principals of the school in the nineteenth century. The road that runs behind the school separating Calcutta University from Presidency College and Hare School is named after him.